Monday 14 September 2009

Fun Chocolate Facts for My Love

My wife and I love chocolate, so I decided to write out a list of facts that she may not know about chocolate. I am calling them my Fun Chocolate Facts. One of the things that I did not know is that it actually has less caffeine in it than coffee. This is something that I was actually shocked to find out because of the way that my body reacts when I eat chocolate. I usually can't sleep for quite a while. I do realize that chocolate does have a lot more sugar, and that may be why I have a hard time sleeping.

I did a little research to expand on one of these Fun Chocolate Facts, and found that there are about five to ten milligrams of caffeine per one ounce of bittersweet chocolate, five milligrams in milk chocolate, and ten milligrams in a six-ounce cup of cocoa. This seems like quite a bit, but when I found out that there are 150 milligrams of caffeine in an eight-ounce cup of coffee, you can see the difference. So, with this in mind, I would have to eat more than a dozen Hershey bars to reach the amount of caffeine that is in a cup of coffee. I will be sure to never drink a cup of coffee before trying to go to bed!

Some other Fun Chocolate Facts that I have found, is that although people are widely disputing this fact, chocolate is not an aphrodisiac. It does, however, contain a substance called phenylethylamine, or PEA, which is reputed to stimulate the same reaction in the body as falling in love. This explains why many people who are in love, use it to bring out those feelings while being intimate. It also explains why people who are heartbroken, or have just come out of relationships seek chocolate in mass amounts to comfort themselves.

Here are some final Fun Chocolate Facts that I have discovered. Chocolate can be lethal to dogs. I knew that it would make a dog sick, but I never thought that it could kill it. About two ounces of milk chocolate can be poisonous to a ten pound puppy. Also, chocolate syrup was used for blood in the famous shower scene from Alfred Hitchcock's movie, "Psycho", and it actually
took seven days to shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment